12 Mar 2007

Buddhist script

This tee has been listed at Ozebaby for auction.
It features the Buddhist mantra "Om mani padme hum" hand stenciled on the front in fibre reactive dyes. I have also dyed the tee is a marble effect to resemble old paper or a carved stone. I have hand made the stencil out of waste plastics from around the home.
I love this, not only because I have some attraction to Lord Buddha, but because it embodies more meaning and substance than anything I have made for my business in a while. I get so sick of doing cutesy stuff that has no deeper meaning, especially as I wouldn't paint it on a canvas, why am I on shirts???

I am having a break from stenciling with dye for a while as it is a very touchy medium to work with, by nature being liquid, it likes to run. It can also back dye whilst rinsing and can destroy a piece I have spent literally days on in a few seconds.
It really isn't worth it for me at this time.
Hope those who have some hand stenciled pieces appreciate them, although they will never really understand the work that has gone in to them.

No comments:

www.flickr.com