11 July 2007

Dyeing Session

I realised today why I haven't done heaps of dyeing in a while... not only is it hard work, but I do it all in a 1m square space which is frustrating. Anyway, I had an appointment at lunch too, but got two hours done and nearly all 29 pieces started. Will take another few days, maybe 6 hours to get it all finished LOL.

First steps for me is to mix my dye. I have chemical sensitivity (long story) so I use a full dust and particle mask to mix dyes. You should use at least a dust mask, but I find even with a dust mask I get a migraine headache. Not a fashion statement to say the least, but safety first.


I keep my mask on until all dyes are mixed and placed in a bottle. I love bamboo skewers, they are the dyers best mixing friend.

Here are two shibori, Japanese resist, pieces. Colours look great from the outside, but this is my first attempt at this using that particular fabric. It is usually done with silk. I have used soda ash in two different ways on each so when I unwrap I can see which technique works best for my purpose. Hope they look as fab unwrapped.




These things have had the dye applied directly to fabric, but soda ash again in different methods. I am experimenting to see what works the best for me.

Pics of everything shown here rinsed in the next few days (maybe)

No comments:

www.flickr.com